Bishop Auckland Railway Station
National Rail Travel Centre
Ticket Sales Line: 01388-661394
Mon - Sat 09:00-12:15 & 12:45-16:00 / Bank Hols 09:00-12:00
Santa's special festive train to
Festive Capital Express
From festive shopping and fairy lights to picturesque ice skating, we've got Christmas all wrapped up on our special excursion train to Edinburgh.
Join us for a festive day out on our special excursion train to Edinburgh from Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe, Darlington, Durham and Chester-le-Street with around 7 hours free time planned in the Scottish capital where you can enjoy the famous "Edinburgh's Christmas" festival.
Edinburgh's Christmas is a spectacular, six-week season of festive entertainment in the heart of the city, a fantastic Christmas celebration and great fun for the whole family!
Saturday 23rd November 2019
Bishop Auckland: 06:10 / 21:35
Shildon: 06:18 / 21:29
Newton Aycliffe: 06:25 / 21:22
Darlington: 06:47 / 21:00
Eaglescliffe: 07:01 / 20:49
Stockton: 07:10 / 20:40
Durham: 07:48 / 20:07
Chester-le-Street : 07:58 / 20:00
Edinburgh Waverley : 10:06 / 17:30
Times are provisonal until confirmed by Network Rail. Final times will be sent with your tickets about 7 days before the excursion.
Children aged under 5 travel for free but must not occupy a seat, to reserve a seat for an under 5, a child ticket is required. A charge of £5 applies for children travelling for free to receive a visit and gift from Santa during the journey.
Free under 5s are one free child per paying adult.
At the ticket office at Bishop Auckland Railway Station
(during normal opening hours).
Call the Bishop Trains Travel Centre on 01388-661394 (select option 2)
Monday - Saturday 09:00-12:15 / 12:45-16:00
During our normal opening hours if we don't answer your call, please leave
a message on the answerphone and we will ring you back.
Book here, online, anytime, and pay with Paypal or your debit/credit card.
Proposed Timings (may change)
How to Book
First Class Dining Option
First Class passengers can enjoy breakfast on the outward journey and dinner on the return for only £30 per person extra.
Typical menus (may vary on day)
Breakfast - Cornflakes or Fruit Segments, Bacon, Sausage, Black Pudding, Hash Brown, Tomato & Scrambled Egg, Roll, Butter and Preserve Tea or Coffee
Dinner - Tomato Soup, Roll & Butter, Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding, Duchesse Potatoes, Peas and Baby Carrots, Apple Pie & Dairy Cream, Tea or Coffee & After-Dinner Mint
Your travel ticket and exact times will be issued approximately 7 days in advance of the excursion.
Your ticket will be posted to the address provided at the time of booking.
If you do not receive your ticket by the Wednesday before the date of the excursion please get in touch for a duplicate ticket.
The “Festive Capital Express” Rail Excursion is organised by Bishop Trains, Bishop Auckland. The train is operated by SRPS on behalf of Bishop Trains.
1. All seats are fully reserved and must be booked and paid for in advance. Bishop Trains endeavour to fulfil specific seating requests subject to availability.
2. While SRPS/Bishop Trains will make every reasonable effort to ensure that the train runs as planned, SRPS and Bishop Trains do not accept responsibility for delays, mishaps or alterations or curtailment of the tour arising from situations outwith its control.
3. SRPS and Bishop Trains cannot be held liable for any missed connections or non-use of tickets.
4. Provisional times are only a guide and when booking you accept that these may differ from the final times. Final times will be provided with your ticket, normally about a week before the date of the tour.
5. Please allow plenty of time to reach your joining station and, if appropriate, sufficient time to park your car and make your way to the correct platform to join the train.
6. If an excursion is cancelled by SRPS or Bishop Trains a full refund will be made, but no other liability shall be incurred.
7. SRPS and Bishop Trains reserve the right to refuse access to, or remove from the train, any persons who are considered to be using inappropriate behaviour affecting the safety of the train and its passengers, spoiling the enjoyment for other passengers on the train, or failing to comply with any reasonable requests made by a member of the train staff.
8. If you have any issues during your journey please bring them to the attention of one of the SRPS Stewards, Bishop Trains staff or the Train Manager so that there is an opportunity to rectify the situation. It is unreasonable to take no action at the time and subsequently make a complaint. If the problem is not resolved then please put your complaint in writing to Bishop Trains, Bishop Auckland Railway Station, to arrive no later than 10 days after your date of travel.
9. SRPS and Bishop Trains cannot be held liable for any costs incurred, or any other losses resulting from a passenger missing the train. It is the passenger's responsibility to ensure that they are at the station in good time to board the train. Your ticket is not valid on the services of any other train company.
10. The type of train used for this excursion, including carriages and the locomotives, may differ from those shown in publicity. The type of train provided for the excursion is purely dependent upon the train operator being used and rolling stock availability. Different train providers operate different types of stock.
11. Your booking is accepted as constituting acceptance of these conditions.
Customer Cancellation or Alteration to a Booking
1. For cancellations received more than 10 days prior to the tour departure refunds will be given. To cover any non-recoverable charges or costs Bishop Trains reserve the right to reduce the value of these refunds by up to the greater of £10 or 10% of the sum paid.
2. No refund will be given for cancellations received within 10 days or less of the tour departure or for failure to board the train on the day.
3. Deposits are non-refundable.
Our journey to Edinburgh will be via the East Coast Main Line overlooking the picturesque Northumberland coastline to Waverley station on board a lovingly restored vintage train from a bygone age with British Rail Mark 1 carriages dating back to the 1960's.
During the journey Santa will join the train with his sack brimming with gifts for the children on-board. Every child will receive a gift and will have the opportunity to meet Santa and his elves (will take place on either the outward or the return journey depending upon the number of children on-board).
All of this, plus Mrs Claus, Mrs Tinsel, carol singers, elves, bagpipes and mince pies will make this a trip to remember.
Christmas shopping Sightseeing Meet Santa, Mrs Claus, Mrs Tinsel and the elves on board
Gift from Santa for every child Around 7 hours free time in Edinburgh
Letters to Santa Vintage train On train entertainment Carol singing
From Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe, Darlington, Eaglescliffe & Stockton
First Class Adult £115
First Class Child £90
Standard Class Adult £79
Standard Class Child £49
From Durham & Chester-le-Street
First Class Adult £105
First Class Child £85
Standard Class Adult £69
Standard Class Child £44
Make your ticket selections below, once selected the ticket type will appear in the secure Paypal basket where you can increase the number of tickets required and also select "continue shopping" to return to this page and add addtional ticket types.
Special note concerning First Class dining passengers with special dietry needs - please email email@example.com with details of your requirements.
Child Tickets:- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with children's names, gender and ages so that an appropriate Santa gift can be arranged.
Joining at Bishop Auckland use these buttons
Joining at Shildon use these buttons
Joining at Newton Aycliffe use these buttons
Joining at Darlington use these buttons
Joining at Stockton use these buttons
Joining at Durham use these buttons
Joining at Chester-le-Street use these buttons
Joining at Eaglescliffe use these buttons
Rail Excursion Booking Terms & Conditions
To add a Santa gift for a free child under 5 use the green button
For all other ticket types, use the buttons below.